[wpkg-users] wpkg-client - multiple issue's

Jan Luehr wpkg-list at stephan.homeunix.net
Thu Sep 6 17:18:06 CEST 2007

Hi,

after solving the last issue I was able to give wpkg-client 1.0-rc1 a try I
installed the client on 8 computers in one computer lab - here's my result:

- On one computer the client looks nice. The progress bar appears at
login-time.
- On two computers the client crashes (event log: script exit, return
value -1)
- On two computers I was able to install a .msi for adobe reader (created with
wininstall LE by myself).
- On four computers the reader-msi-file fails by freezing the client. After
killing Microsoft-Installer, the client continious.
- On one computer I'ven't enabled the client's debug GUI. I didn't notice,
that the client was working, until a found a cscript-process at the
task-manager.
- On seven computers I enabled the debug-GUI. By that I noticed that
wpkg-client started after logging in. On six computers the client begun
installing my software (.msi with /passive). In any case the .msi-dialogs
were not rendered correctly: A blurred, modal crashed looking dialog appeared
in the front. A user watching this, will certainly assume that the
workstation crashed and call support.

On all computers, "by-hand" excution of wpkg (by wpkg-start.bat) was
successfull.

Problems I encountered so far:
- wpkg-client has to be started as administrator - if started by "system" it
logs an unexpected network error.
- wpkg-client seems to be unable to connect to a share anonymously. Instead of
connecting without username/password, it seems that wpkg-client uses
computername$ (as used for machine trust-accounts) as login name.
- wpkg needs it's own username/password to connect to a share. In a domain
environment, where deployment information is located on the pdc this fails(
unexpected network error - theory: Windows XP might have trouble to run
different connections with diffrent logins to one server).It'd be really nice
if wpkg would be able to use the credentials of the current user - if
available.
- I wasn't able to get helpful log-entries and the windows event-Log is far
form being verbose / helpful.Does wpkg-client provide some log / debug
facility? (Verbose Logging to a file?)

Features, I haven't found so far:
- Watchdog functions, e.g. specifying timeouts for commands being executed.
- Debug mode for wpkg-client: What is wpkg-client doing right now and why is
it doing it?

Thanks,
Keep smiling
yanosz