[wpkg-users] wpkg-client - multiple issue's

Jan Luehr wpkg-list at stephan.homeunix.net
Fri Sep 7 10:44:39 CEST 2007

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 6. September 2007 20:00 schriebe Tomasz Chmielewski:
> Jan Luehr schrieb:
> > - On two computers the client crashes (event log: script exit, return
> > value -1)
Sorry, the value is 1

> What OS?
> Can you do:
XP SP2
> net stop "WPKG service"
"WPKG Service is not started" (translated)

> and then, clear the event log, and:
>
> net start "WPKG service"
WPKG Service could not be started

The service did not report an error
More help is available  by typing NET HELPMSG 3534

> and paste here what was appended?
>
> > - On two computers I was able to install a .msi for adobe reader (created
> > with wininstall LE by myself).
> > - On four computers the reader-msi-file fails by freezing the client.
> > After killing Microsoft-Installer, the client continious.
>
> Don't create your own MSI files, unless really necessary and unless you
> really know how to do it.
> For Acrobat Reader, there is an original silent installer or MSI - check
> WPKG wiki.

Thanks, I'll try.

> > - On one computer I'ven't enabled the client's debug GUI. I didn't
> > notice, that the client was working, until a found a cscript-process at
> > the task-manager.
>
> Perhaps it was doing something?

Yes, it was installing software

> > - On seven computers I enabled the debug-GUI. By that I noticed that
> > wpkg-client started after logging in. On six computers the client begun
> > installing my software (.msi with /passive). In any case the .msi-dialogs
> > were not rendered correctly: A blurred, modal crashed looking dialog
> > appeared in the front. A user watching this, will certainly assume that
> > the workstation crashed and call support.
>
> Debug-GUI mode is for debugging only; don't enable it for casual users.
>
> You're talking about windows not fully shown etc.? It has something to
> do with permissions; did you login as an Administrator or a
> non-privileged user?
>
> > Problems I encountered so far:
> > - wpkg-client has to be started as administrator - if started by "system"
> > it logs an unexpected network error.
>
> You have to specify valid network credentials of course.

I was refering to the execution context

> > - wpkg-client seems to be unable to connect to a share anonymously.
> > Instead of connecting without username/password, it seems that
> > wpkg-client uses computername$ (as used for machine trust-accounts) as
> > login name.
>
> Last time I checked, it was trying to login using guest account when no
> credentials were specified... I have to double check that.

I do so as well on monday.

> > - wpkg needs it's own username/password to connect to a share.
>
> True, as any other network access.

imho anonymous access is possible...

> > In a domain
> > environment, where deployment information is located on the pdc this
> > fails( unexpected network error - theory: Windows XP might have trouble
> > to run different connections with diffrent logins to one server).
>
> Not really - just specify valid credentials to access that share.

I did so.

> > It'd be really nice
> > if wpkg would be able to use the credentials of the current user - if
> > available.
>
> Huh? It's a service, there is no "current user" here.
> You specify the credentials during its initial setup, that's it.

I mean: Currently loged in user if available.

> > - I wasn't able to get helpful log-entries and the windows event-Log is
> > far form being verbose / helpful.Does wpkg-client provide some log /
> > debug facility? (Verbose Logging to a file?)
>
> It logs to the Event Log.
> But so far as I can tell, you just gave it invalid credentials, or you
> specified not enough info here.

ok..

Thanks,
Keep smiling