[wpkg-users] Problem with Delay Time and Notebooks

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Sep 26 16:24:14 CEST 2007

Andreas Schaller schrieb:
> Hello All,
>

> I have a Problem with WPKG. In our Company we have a lot of notebooks with the wpkg client installed on it and they have an "Delay Time" for 5 Minutes.
>
> So everytime they start their notebook and they are not in the company they have to wait "5 Minutes". Is there any possibility to solve this Problem??
>
> I´ve also tried to solve it with "Pre Commands". A small batchscript pings the server for 3 times and afterwards, wpkg starts but it doesn't work. I still have to wait the 5 Minutes.

Right now, there is not much you can do; at this moment, probably
disabling logon delay is the best advice I can give.
Normally (regular desktops, always in LAN), WPKG service tries to
connect to a network share (as a user, depending on configuration).

If it can't connect, it won't block anymore, even if the timeout is large.

Under normal circumstances, it should timeout in about 30-60 seconds, if
the server is specified with the name (\\server - DNS will fail faster).
However, there are lots of factors that can affect it, and in the end,
it can last much longer:

- network settings
- firewall
- cached credentials
- etc.

That said - the next WPKG Client release will include a "laptop mode",
designed specially for computers which are often disconnected. It should
be released in December this year.