[wpkg-users] Installer types

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Apr 3 16:04:15 CEST 2008

Joel Levin schrieb:
> Is is safe to say that any application installer with a .exe would use
> the .exe silent installer package? I am wondering if some applications
> may say they are .exe, but are actually msi. How would you know?

Windows distinguishes file types by file extensions.

So if you have some_installer.exe, it is 100% exe installer, not MSI
(unless someone did something stupid and change the file extension).

However, sometimes these .exe files contain a compressed image,
containing a MSI, which is later started via msiexec upon decompression.

One such example is Adobe Reader, AFAIR.