[wpkg-users] Questions about offline mode and executing the wpkg service

Dieter Scholz rd-disc at gmx.net
Mon Apr 7 16:48:43 CEST 2008

Hi,

> > Can you still reproduce it? On every laptop you have?
>
> I just reproduced this behavior on a normal computer. The server wasn't
> reachable (eventlog say: "Server connection: failed.") and I had to wait
> the full 5 minutes before i was able to log in.
>
> My Setup: WPKG 1.0-rc8 with WPKG Client 1.2.0-rc6

Today I've had time to test a setup with & without VMware. This time I used
W2K for testing. The result was that the VMware setup waited for the timeout
to end a on my 'real' box offline mode with logon delay worked as it should.
Very strange ... this is the first time I found such strange behaviour inside
a virtual machine. And I do a lot of testing with it ...

But - once again and please don't flame me for that :-) - don't you think that
if wpkg reported in the log 'Server connection failed' and still starts
trying to call the script on the network share, it has nothing to do with
VMware networking because the evaluation has already took place if a network
share is available or not? And don't you think a more robust implementation
of the 'is server available' check that would even work under VMware would be
better (I'm sorry I cannot help you with that, 'cause I 've no clue in
Windows programming - but I offer my help as a tester)?

Greetings,

Dieter

PS: I used the same wpkg software versions as Jens