[wpkg-users] How to upgrade from 0.9x to 1.0

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Apr 8 00:45:58 CEST 2008

Hi Simon,

Simon Walters wrote:
> Congratulations and thanks to everyone who has helped to get WPKG to V1.0 :)

Thanks, it's een a long way ;-)

> I was wondering if someone could post how to simply upgrade from V0.9x to
> 1.0.

You're right, there is no manual available. However try simply
exchanging wpkg.js and config.xml while taking over the settings. This
should be everything you need. WPKG has been extended with lots of new
features but you're not forced to use them. So your old XML definitions
will still work as expected. Or let's say they "should". I actually used
WPKG 0.9.10 for some time using WPKG-web. I am still using WPKG-web with
1.0 and 1.1 testing releases and it works without any problems. Also the
command line switches have been kept.

So as I said there are mainly internal re-structurings and of course
lots of added features you can use when upgrading. As well as a few
fixed bugx.

> And I'm I right that package dependencies will now work - so I can say
> package B
> can only be installed if Pachage A already has been installed?

Yes of course. This feature is actually not new and was there in 0.9.10
as well. However I had the impression (when looking at the code) that it
could never have worked properly in a stable way. WPKG 1.0 is using a
completely different algorithm. But again, the package definition is
still the same:

<packages>
	<package ...>
	[...]
		<depends package-id="<packageId>"/>
	[...]
	</package>
</packages>

I recommend to test WPKG 1.0 in a testbed first. It might "fix" some
things on the system where WPKG 0.9.10 used to get "stucked" within an
unusual situation (repeating the same task on each reboot, without
actually succeeding). WPKG 1.0 was designed to solve such problems
automatically. So please check on one machine, use the /debug flag, set
logging level to maximum and analyze the log after first run (see
wpkg.xml for details on how to configure).