[wpkg-users] Wrapper hints...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Fri Apr 11 11:59:22 CEST 2008

Mandi! Rainer Meier
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I think you also got some hints that time how this could be solved even
> without having to invent something new.
> - Using DNS entries to point to the local WPKG server
>   - Use the same WPKG config on all these servers

Ok, but dns entry i think canot be used as a pure source of
identification, because two branch can have the same server name.
I'm not speaking about 'security': clearly everyone can easily build up
a 'fake' wpkg server and force everyone to install everything, simply
an easy and simple way to 'match' server and client.

I install wpkg client on clients with a 'boot' script that install wpkg
itself, copy configuration and then go installing the rest.
I'm using this approach of defining a variable in wpkg client settings,
(so client-side) and checking it on wpkg.js (so, server side).

> You might also use a pre-execution script (supported by WPKG client) which
> is simply doing your verification in a simple *.cmd script and then skip
> execution it the machine does not belong to that system.

Ah, oh... sorry but i've really missed this: now wpkg client check exit
code of pre (and post?) script and if status are not 0 does not execute
wpkg.js?

Clearly i can do this check in pre script. Sorry.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/