[wpkg-users] WPKG documentation

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Apr 11 17:35:00 CEST 2008

Hi Marco,

Thanks for all the nice words ;-)

Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Really, i've not found any real problem in WPKG setup.
> Ok, sometime i've confused execute once/always, some other i've done
> some mistakes in check condition...

You might try the XSD files I developed recently. I have to admit that
they still have 'draft' status but they might help you writing valid XML
files. In addition they contain a lot of information about every
attribute and element. Decent XML editors might display this help
directly by the context assistant - so you don't need to read huge
documentation (which does not exist actually *g*).

Download the latest development version directly from
<http://wpkg.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wpkg/wpkg/current-development/xsd/>

> But really the only hard part of WPKG are... writing recipes. And it is
> not a matter of WPKG, rather a matter of spend time around google,
> microsoft KB, ... to find every detail of every installer.
> And this is not matter of manual, but simply real life. ;)

Here you're right. Everybody can help adding more installers to
<http://wpkg.org/Category:Silent_Installers>.

Another source is <http://unattended.sourceforge.net/>.

For german-speaking users also <http://www.windows-unattended.de/>
maintains a database with lots of silent switches.

> Really: i've learned on windows/shell in this year of WPKG more then
> the rest of my life.

This is very good :-)

> WPKG i think is a 'perfect sysadmin tool'. Don't need docs. ;)

Well, I wouldn't call it perfect as nothing is absolutely perfect. And
to the statements that it does not need docs I would not fully agree.

On wpkg.org there are already some documents available. However for new
users I think one might just be overwhelmed by the pure amount of files
and XML files. As a result people are focusing on getting to know the
purpose of all the components instead of really setting up a share and
just running it. I think it's simply too easy to get lost within the
documents on wpkg.org.

My proposal: Move all the documents to a kind of "appendix" and then
just publish something like <http://wpkg.org/WPKG_with_Samba> on a more
prominent location. Then we can start to enhance this page and fill in
more details and some pictures/screenshots. Some might find pictures
useless but it sometimes scares people to read a tutorial with several
pages. Some "demo material" like WPKG client or event log screenshots
might catch the users attention.

The goal should be that every user can experience a very quick setup and
first "great it works" feeling. For that we could probably also rework
some of our sample XML files and deliver a set of default packages which
is downloading and installing a free tool like Pidgin. So if the user
just runs wpkg.js he will immediately see a result and will be able to
follow up more documents to see how WPKG achieved to install the package:
- reading hosts.xml
- reading proiles.xml
- reading packages.xml
- mapping packages to a profile
- assigning the profile to a host definition

Again, I think the most important point is to allow users to install hes
first package within 15 minutes - then I think he will continue to read
about WPKG.