[wpkg-users] Svar: RE: Danish characters in package definitions

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Apr 11 18:03:54 CEST 2008

Hi Tor,

> Now the package file is read alright. From reading previous mailing list
> postings about removing software, I was led to believe that if you made
> a package file, and then did not include it in a profile, then the
> remove command would be run on a host whose profile did not contain the
> package. I am trying to make wpkg uninstall a trial version of ms office
> 2007 this way, but nothing happens. How do I go about this? Can I use
> this way to remove software which has not been installed with wpkg?

No, it does not work like this. If it would, then WPKG would execute the
remove commands of really a lot of packages an every synchronization
depending on how many packages you have defined.

WPKG will only call the 'remove' commands of all packages in the local
client database which are not listed (any more) on the server profile.

If you would like to remove a piece of software which has not been
installed with WPKG I suggest creating a kind of 'softwareXY-remove'
package whose install command contains the command to remove the guilty
package. Later you might remove the package from the server again and it
will call the 'remove' commands of it - if none are defined it will do
nothing.

Another way could be to create a package for this specific software,
then install it to make sure all clients have it. And later on remove it.