[wpkg-users] Question about processing install and remove

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Apr 15 16:56:38 CEST 2008

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Dehennin wrote:
> During my test I remove the package xp-firewall from the profile and
> in the log I see that wpkg.js mark the xp-firewall package as to be
> removed but it seems to try to execute the <install/> anyway.

This feature has been introduced by WPKG 1.0 and I refer to it as the
"upgrade-before-remove" feature. WPKG always first brings an installed
package up-to-date before trying to remove it. This allows system
administrators to define fixed uninstall strings which will be deployed
before the remove commands are executed.

Without this feature there was no possibility at all to fix a broken
uninstall string on the client machine from within wpkg.xml. It would
just fail to uninstall.

What you see within the logs is that the synchronize-method is first
calling the install method to update this package before it is going to
remove. The install method then correctly prints that the package whose
execute flag is set to 'once' is already installed with exactly the
expected version and it exits without doing upgrade or installation.

The way of execution is due to the fact that the install method is now
much much smarter than it was in previous WPKG versions. It detects by
itself if a package needs upgrade or installation. In your case the
synchronization just needs to call the install method on the same
package and WPKG will automatically find out that there is no upgrade
needed. If it would be needed it would execute the upgrade before
executing the remove.

So everything looks perfectly fine on your system - just don't be
confused about the upgrade/check attempt.