[wpkg-users] wpkg insanely slow

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Apr 16 08:24:47 CEST 2008

Brian May schrieb:
> This is just insane. 30 seconds to read and XML file. As in exactly 30
> seconds for each XML file. The thing is, browsing the files on the
> server in Windows Explorer is fast, even while this extreme slowness is
> occurring.
>
> So I don't know what the issue could be.
>
> Several other points:
>
> * once it starts doing the rest of its activities, it is fast. It is
> only when reading the XML files that problems occur - on this computer
> anyway.
>
> * This is when running wpkg manually from Administrator, there are
> problems with the service, it won't start properly - might be the same
> issue described on my last post, even though it is a different computer.
> Looks very similar anyway.

I guess you are using WPKG Client?

Could you do the following:

1. Use "Show" WPKG user interface in WPKG Client
2. Put cmd.exe as "Execute before"
3. Log in, and try to browse the network / XML files from the cmd.exe
window manually. Try to do "net use \\server\share /user:DOMAIN\user
pass", see if it works, etc.

I doubt this slowness is a result of an error in wpkg.js or WPKG Client
(but who knows...). It looks like some strange network problems (WINS,
DNS, but also duplicate IP addresses, or even duplicate MAC address,
which is extremely hard to debug).

You also notice "unexpected network error" when you try to start WPKG
Client as a user with domain credentials - although you didn't paste a
full error message, most WPKG Client error messages are those reported
by the operating system.

See also: http://www.google.com/search?q=unexpected+network+error