[wpkg-users] wpkg insanely slow

Brian May brian at vpac.org
Thu Apr 17 05:11:41 CEST 2008

Brian May wrote:
> After prefixing the username with the domain, that seems to be working.
>
> Also speed seems to be much faster then yesterday. So maybe me previous
> test was flawed.

Looks like something incredibly weird going on the file server. I did a
grep of wpkg/packages/* on the fileserver, and it took over 5 minutes to
complete (I gave up waiting and aborted). strace shows grep is waiting
for open to return. Repeat the process and a different file has the same
problem and the original file is OK. Repeat the process again and all
files are ok. dmesg shows nothing.

So it looks like this slowness problem isn't wpkg or networking, but may
be filesystem or hard disk I/O issues on the server.

Brian May