[wpkg-users] wpkg.js crashing?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Apr 18 08:37:52 CEST 2008

Hi Brian,

Brian May wrote:
> Where is the event log stored?

Right click "my computer", select "manage", click "Event Viewer", right
click "Application", chose "Clear all Events".

> The configuration is identical to the other computers that were working;
> I think it is 0xFF

OK.

> The INFO (and higher) messages weren't getting logged because this is
> what cause wpkg to crash.
>
> Would it be possible to wrap those lines of code in a try/catch clause?
> I don't think errors writing to the event handler should be fatal and
> cause wpkg to abort.

No, WPKG does not crash on your system - this for sure not. And there is
absolutely no need to wrap in in a try-catch clause. The reason is that
whole WPKG is wrapped in a try-catch clause. So if anything throws an
unexpected exception, then it will be catched and a nicely formated
message will be logged to the event log. But more and more I have the
feeling that your event log does not work as expected and either it just
"hangs" there (Windows call hangs, not WPKG) or it is simply ignored.

I see from your logs that every debug message is printed up to the point
that the language-local user notification should be logged to eventlog.
Next entry would be something like:
2008-04-18 06:45:46, INFO    : User notification suppressed. Message:
Das WPKG Software-Installationstool in...

This message would be logged to event log using the logEvent() method I
already pointed out.

So you might do the following:

Check your event log for errors (Application and System logs - see above
how to reach there).

Then clean all the logs.

Run WPKG and check the event log for a user notification entry - or even
more output depending on the number of packages to be installed.

If it still does not work for you, then try disabling quiet mode (remove
/quiet flag, set quiet flag to false within config.xml) and run WPKG on
the command line:
cscript \\server\path\to\wpkg.js /synchronize

Then check what is printed on the console.

In fact I am quite sure that you will have some errors logged in your
System log. They might help to fix your system.