[wpkg-users] Installer upgrade trouble...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Tue Apr 29 16:33:13 CEST 2008

Mandi! Tomasz Chmielewski
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I'm not sure how easy (or hard) to implement it is.

Mee too...

> Surely, it will need some changes and should be fully supported in the
> future (without "hacks").
> But I can't tell right now if an upgrade from 1.2.x to a newer version
> (1.4.x?) will be seamless. Or a "proper" upgrade will be available in
> 1.4.x onwards.

AFAI've understood, this is not a WPKGClient trouble 'per se', but
merely and installer (.msi) trouble.
If the things are really like that, i think that a 1.2.X fixed version
it is needed (ahem, please... ;).
Or a quick release of an 1.4.X version. ;)

I'm still using 0.90, and surely i don't try to upgrade using the
procedure explained on:

	http://wpkg.org/WPKG

because it is now clear that are dangerous and could lead WPKGClient to
an unusable state.

I seeks to this point some more feedback, i think it is very important.

PS: and if we simply throw away the .msi installer and prepare a simple
 batch script that do the job, copy files, setting registry keys, ...
 In another way: what do the .msi installer on a *upgrade* process? Can
 be substituted with a simple cmd script?

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php