[wpkg-users] Installer upgrade trouble...

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Apr 30 13:01:13 CEST 2008

Marco Gaiarin schrieb:
> Mandi! Tomasz Chmielewski
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> As a discussion here on the list.
>
> Ok, as a 'non-developer' i say:
>
> 1) The 'connectivity trouble' will be finally solved, i think, only if
>  we move from 'install on startup' to 'install on shutdown', i think
> as:

Some may want to install on startup as well. So we can't simply move the
logic to the shutdown and pretend the problem's fixed.

BTW, if we make this feature (start not only on startup), should we
start only on shutdowns, or on reboots, too? Or, maybe, make it like below:

            Y  N
Startup    o
Shutdown   o
Reboot        o

>  a) WPKGClient starts, check network availability, and if no network are
>   available reschedule it afer some amount of time.
>   'Network available' mean: 'a network interface different from
>   127.0.0.1', eg the check of the quality of the connectivity available
>   is a next pass.

I already posted it as a reply in another thread (but please reply here
if possible) - what do we do with "Logon delay" in such case?

a) delay the user (almost) indefinitely and wait for network,
b) cancel the logon delay?

If we choose b), some will complain that logon delay doesn't work for
them...

>  b) If WPKGClient found network up, execute pre-script (that can
>   'identify' the network available, like now), download the package and
>    execute post-script. Then, rescedule itself after some amount of
>    time (different from a, possibly infinite ;).
>    Here we can discuss about: if pre-script exit nonzero, we have to
>    reschedule or not?
>  c) on shutdown, the queue of pending and downloaded package are
>    processed.

Not everyone wants to download the installation packages - starting them
off the server is mostly a preferred choice.