[wpkg-users] nested check logic

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Dec 16 00:26:40 CET 2008

Hi Chris,

W. Chris Shank wrote:
> could someone send me an example of a complex package xml file that includes valid depends and variable declarations? it seems i was building my front-end off of what linux-kidd had done, but the XML schema has changed considerably.

WPGK-web included some "features" which have never been supported by any
WPKG version as far as I know. I jumped in somewhen at 0.9 versions and
re-designed it considerably. I thought I've ported all functionality and
neither conflicts nor supercedes have been part of wpkg.js.
Moreover I have some doubts that these types can be of great use:

- conflict? Well, administrators decide which packages to assign to a
profile - so conflicts should not accur. If WPKG would support conflicts
then it's hard to resolve them and usually resolving conflicts has to be
done on server-side by administrators.

- supercedes? OK, after your message I started to think about. A
packager superceding another one could replace it and therefore the
packages superceded could be actually uninstalled. I will think about
that. But I have some doubts it was ever part of wpkg.js. But it might
be in the future... let's see.

I have a list of things to be implemented in the future (still trying to
implement package chaining and such things) but unfortunately I am quite
busy (probably I will have some time within the next weeks). I would
like to have it working smoothly before I release it. Up to then WPKG
1.0 is considered to be stable and supposed to support most use cases
system administrators have.

here's an example of a package which has a dependency:

<package id='GoogleEarth' name='Google Earth' revision='4294967295'
priority='50' reboot='false' >
  <!-- Google Earth -->
  <check type='uninstall' condition='exists' path='Google Earth' />
  <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\software.free\Google Earth
v.4.3.7284.3916\unattended.cmd"' />
  <remove cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\software.free\Google Earth
v.4.3.7284.3916\unattended-uninstall.cmd"' />
  <upgrade cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\software.free\Google Earth
v.4.3.7284.3916\unattended.cmd"' />
  <depends package-id='shortcut' />
</package>

I can't send you one with a variable definition right now since I don't
use this feature. However you can define variables on host, profile and
package level. See XSD definition for syntax.