[wpkg-users] Assistance with wpkg settings tool

W. Chris Shank shankwc at acetechgroup.com
Tue Jan 15 18:17:24 CET 2008

Hello - we are nearly done the WPKG and Open Audit integration I
posted about a little while back. We are working on being able to
create the settings.xml file from a web form. I'm having trouble
deciphering the password hash encoding / decoding. we tried a straight
base64 encoding but the string comes out differently than using the
same password from the Windows config tool.

Help is appreciated because once this is done we are ready to release
it. Here is the posting I made to the Open Audit forum earlier today:

----

Software Management Enchancement

I wanted to say that OA is awesome and we love it, thank you for it.
In fact, we like it so much that we are just finishing up a project to
extend the web interface by integrating WPKG xml creation to it. If
you don't know what WPKG is - please go to http://www.wpkg.org to find
out before reading on. We have the ability to create WPKG pkgs and
save them as XML. This was actually a pretty difficult task since the
XML can be very complicated and we needed to allow for all
possibilities. So that part is done and we are now working on
integrating it with OA better. We are planning to use the software
register section since this seems the be the best place to manage
software from. So, in addition to being able to register your licenses
- this section will allow you to effectively register your software
for management. The registering for management part would take you to
WPKG package builder where you would enter all the parameters for the
software and it will then create the package.xml for that software and
write it to your server. We still need to work on the part where we
connect the software to a host (PC) so that it will get installed, but
we are expecting that to be pretty simple and may have it done in a
few days.

So anyway, the end result of all this is that you should be able to
use Open Audit to not only inventory your PCs, but also have it add
and remove software from them automagically. So the questions I have
are - A) is anyone interested in this? B) Since it bridges 2 open
source projects - if it's to be combined into an OSS project, which
one - or should it be forked into it's derivative that tracks each
project separately?