[wpkg-users] Register already installed Programms

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Jul 1 13:37:12 CEST 2008

Hi Peter,

Peter Ulrich wrote:
> i am testing wpkg to install new Software on my Clients and it
> worked great.
>
> Now i want to get control over installed Software by wpkg without
> reinstalling the packages on every client. Is there a way to tell
> wpkg, that a package is already installed on a system so that
> wpkg writes only the file 'wpkg.xml' and watches for Updates?

WPKG will do this automatically but only if you define appropriate checks.

For example if you assign a package for ImgBurn to the clients where
ImgBurn is already installed (but WPKG never run before) then WPKG will
first run the checks. So if you define an 'uninstall' type check for
"ImgBurn" then WPKG will claim that ImgBurn is already installed, add it
to wpkg.xml and it will not run any installer/upgrade command.

So this is exactly what you might need.

Please note that this only works with appropriate checks so WPKG can
detect that a package is already installed. Packages with no checks,
inappropriate checks (evaluate false) or execute=always attribute will
be installed.

So in best case all your packages have appropriate checks and WPKG will
simply fill wpkg.xml without installing anything - and therefore monitor
for updates in the future (or allow uninstall of course).