[wpkg-users] The network location cannot be reached

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Fri Jul 11 01:58:19 CEST 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

>> I have also been experimenting with the offline mode as you suggested. I wrote a
>> vbscript program to implement a delay and wanted to use it as the custom script but I
>> could not get it to work.  The test complains about a bad path.
>
> Is the script on the server?
> If there is no network yet, it will always complain about a bad path?

No, the script is on the local C: drive as shown in the command below.

>> I tried to set the
>> custom script to:
>>
>> cscript C:\delay.vbs 15
>>
>> Where the 15 is seconds for the delay.
>
> Wouldn't be "ping -n 15 127.0.0.1" easier?

My script logs the time it starts and stops, which would be useful in
debugging.

>> Later I also tried to use a simple ".bat" batch file with a delay in it so I would
>> not have to call cscript first, but the log shows that although wpkg client is using
>> the custom script, nothing is actually run.
>>
>> Anyway, using the built-in check with a 10 second max, does seem to increase the
>> frequency of successful connections.  I'll watch it for a few days on the machines
>> that are having this problem.
>
> Can you reproduce the issue on a newly installed machine?
> Can you describe specs/hardware of affected machines (and Windows
> version, too)?

One of the machines is a newly installed WinXP-SP3 on an iMac (with
Bootcamp).  Another is an older install of WinXP on an Athlon 64 3500+
that has been upgraded to SP3.  So they don't have much in common from a
hardware standpoint.