[wpkg-users] The system cannot find the file specified

Joe joe at freakyacres.com
Fri Jun 6 18:19:34 CEST 2008

Zach Musselman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using wpkg to install numerous types of software.  Half of which I
> have been able to install successfully (Firefox, Thunderbird, 7zip,
> Notepad++, and VLC).  There are a hand full in which I cannot for the
> life of me get to execute correctly.  I have followed the unattended
> install codes found on your site (modifying for my path to the package)
> and get the same error.  When I execute the same exact command on the
> client pc in command prompt the package installs, however when I run
> wpkg either by restarting (or by executing cscript \\server\wpkg\wpkg.js
> /synchronize /debug, it will act like it tries to install OpenOffice 2.4
> (installer flashes on the screen) but then skips over it and presents
> "The system cannot find the file specified" for that package and also
> for Adobe Reader 8 and PDFCreator, all of which can be installed with
> the msi command inputed directly on the client.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I had what seems to be the exact same problem a while ago.  It turned
out to be an extra slash on the path.

msiexec \\R4p17\VOL1\apps\WPKG\Programs\\OpenOffice\openofficeorg24.msi

instead of...

msiexec \\R4p17\VOL1\apps\WPKG\Programs\OpenOffice\openofficeorg24.msi

A regular setup.exe would work ok like...

\\R4p17\VOL1\apps\WPKG\Programs\\OpenOffice\ooosetup.exe but msiexec
will not allow it.

You may want to check that.