[wpkg-users] Can WPKG install packages while user is at desktop

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Mar 26 20:33:06 CET 2008

Hi Steve,

 > I used the Firefox xml from the site. It worked twice but I had to
 > increment revision by 1 each time I unistalled the Mozilla firefox to
 > test it.
 >

 > So does this mean each time the revision has to be incremented. If so,
 > then how can I automate this process. When ihave offsite users, how is
 > the xml file going to be incremented?

When I look at the XML definition there is one single check:
<check type="file" condition="exists"
path="%programfiles%\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" />

So if seamonkey.exe does not exist, then the package is re-installed. Or
I should write "it _would_ be reinstalled". It is not because the
execute="once" flag is set. This means that WPKG just installs it ONCE
and never checks again if it is still installed. Just remove the
"execute='once'" attribute completely and you will see that WPKG is
going to re-install the package in case the check fails (ie if
seamonkey.exe is deleted).

I don't know who inserted that execute=once flag but if I find some time
I will check the definitions on wpkg.org.