[wpkg-users] Can WPKG install packages while user is at desktop

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Mar 26 21:00:20 CET 2008

Hi Steve,

Steve Handy wrote:
> Well I used something different. Here it is:
>
> <package
>     id="firefox"
>     name="Mozilla Firefox 2.0"
>     revision="20014"
>     reboot="false"
>     priority="10">
>
>     <check type="logical" condition="or">
>       <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Mozilla Firefox (2.0)" />
>       <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Mozilla Firefox (2.0.0.13)" />
>     </check>
>
>     <check type="file" condition="exists" path="%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"/>
>
>     <install cmd='"\\Store1\Mozilla\Firefox Setup 2.0.0.13.exe" -ms' />
>
>     <upgrade cmd='"\\Store1\Mozilla\Firefox Setup 2.0.0.13.exe" -ms' />
>
>     <remove cmd='"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\uninstall\helper.exe" /s' />
>
> </package>
>
> Now the revision has to incremented each time I uninstall the program and try to reinstall it. How do I eliminate this. (If I a person offsite removes the software, the reinstallation of it will not occur, or am I wrong)

I think you're wrong here ;-)

Using these checks the checks will fail in case none of the following
uninstall entries exist:
Mozilla Firefox (2.0)
Mozilla Firefox (2.0.0.13)

As the execute=once attribute is NOT set here these checks will be
executed on EACH WPKG execution.

Therefore if somebody (no matter if on-site or off-site) removes the
software from the control panel (normal uninstallation) WPKG will
re-install it on next /synchronize action.

In case this person even uses wpkg to uninstall this package it will  be
removed from the local wpkg.xml file. However on next /synchronize WPKG
will notice that this package belongs to the users profile and will
re-install it.

Just try it. I think the package should work as defined above. In fact I
think you can even remove the check for firefox.exe - checking uninstall
values is usually enough. OK, in case somebody just deletes the files
manually then WPKG cannot detect it. So it's up to you how much "sure"
you want to be that FF is actually installed. For me it is absolutely
sufficient to check the uninstall entry.