[wpkg-users] Thanks for everything - WPKG is nice but it still needs improvement

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Mar 27 19:17:13 CET 2008

Hi Steve,

Steve Handy wrote:
> Here is the log file you requested. By the way, the documentation on the flags DOES NOT specify that /synchronize is a command. Only a flag. This explains the mistake I made earlier when you specified that I wasn't following the documentation closely in your earlier email.

You are right that the word "command" is not used - I was mistaken by
that. But wpkg.js /help clearly writes:

[...]
Frequently used parameters (package operations, you need to chose one)
[...]
/synchronize
[...]
Optional parameters (usually defined within config.xml)
[...]
Rarely used parameters (mainly for testing)
[...]
/force
[...]

So it is referred as "package operations" instead of "command".
Additionally I don't know which part of "you need to chose one" is so
hard to understand. Anyway, this is not important to solve the problem.
You have been pointed to the fact that you need to specify /synchronize
or any other "operation" in conjunction with /force. While the /force in
cojunction with /synchronize seems to be broken (according to error
report, had no time to verify yet).

The file you attached is a package definition. Not the requested log
file. So again I request you to send the full execution log file. Look
at config.xml to see where it is stored by default. Please send a full
verbose log of the wpkg-run which is initiated when Firefox is actually
not installed.
Please also send a snapshot of wpkg.xml found at
%SystemRoot%\system32\wpkg.xml.

Additionally I had a look at the package definition. I see that it
defines that either one of the uninstall entries have to be there:
- Mozilla Firefox (2.0)
- Mozilla Firefox (2.0.0.13)
AND
- %PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
needs to be in place.

You could verify these conditions manually after removing Firefox. Check
if the uninstall entries are correctly removed. Checks without logical
conditions need to evaluate true. Therefore in your case FF is
considered not to be installed if either one or both of the uninstall
info are missing or if firefox.exe is missing.

but hey, I think I see the problem. Firefox recently changed the silent
flags from "-ms" to "/S". At least I am using the /S flag within my
unattended.cmd.

So you might try the attached Firefox.xml file. If I am right here we
could have seen this from the log file. WPKG tries to re-install Firefox
each time it is run but fails to do so as it will either fail or simply
stuck in the background waiting for the user to press "OK" on a message
box which shows that you're using a wrong switch.