[wpkg-users] install the wpkg client manually

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Mar 27 23:37:02 CET 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
> Kent Tong schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to install the wpkg client manually (as opposed to running
>> the msi file)?
>> I am asking because trying to install the wpkg client v1.2.0 on our Windows
>> 2003
>> Terminal Server failed with the error "This application has requested the
>> Runtime to
>> terminate it in an unusual way".
>
> It *should* work if you have the files usually found in %PROGRAMFILES%\wpkg.
>
> But I'll verify if it really works - will keep you updated later today,
> with some instructions if it works.
>

> That being said, perhaps a better idea would be to try to find out why
> it fails to install in the first place.
>
> Did you try WPKG Client "1.2.0" or "1.2.0-rc6"?
> I know the "1.2.0" version failed to install for at least two people,
> but "1.2.0-rc6" worked in the same environment - but I can't reproduce
> it, unfortunately.

To install it manually, do (tested on XP SP2):

1. You need the files - the easiest way is to install WPKG Client on one
machine, and copy contents of %PROGRAMFILES%\wpkg\ to another machine

2. Start cmd.exe and run:

prompt> cd %PROGRAMFILES%\wpkg
prompt> wpkgsrv /install
WPKG Service installed.

If it throws an error, there is something fishy.

3. Configure settings:

prompt> wpkginst

Put notepad as "execute before", and check "Show GUI".

4. Start the service - it should start notepad.exe:

prompt> net start "WPKG service"

It should start without errors, and notepad.exe should start shortly.

If it works, configure the setting properly (users, paths etc.).