[wpkg-users] Is 1.8.20080.42104 < 2.0.0.14 ? true

Joe joe at freakyacres.com
Wed May 14 16:48:11 CEST 2008

Rainer Meier wrote:
>> Checking version of "c:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe'
>> : Is 1.8.20080.42104 < 2.0.0.14 ? true
>
> Up to here it seems to be correct. 1.8.... is smaller than 2.0....

Ok...  I thought it was a question: "Is this statement true?".
When it was a question and an answer "Is this statment true? Yes it is".

>> Package 'Mozilla Firefox' (firefox): Already installed. Skipping.
>
> Correct too as you check that firefox.exe file version is smaller than
> 2.0.0.14.

I wrongly assumed true meant it would execute the install.  Like an
IF THEN statement.

>> Looking in the file properties, Firefox.exe has a "file version"
>> of 1.8.20080.42104 and a "program version" of 2.0.0.14.  WPKG
>> apparently reads the "file version".  WPKG is somehow figuring
>> out that ff is already installed but with the version discrepancy
>> I'm not sure how it does.  Can anyone lend any insight?
>
> So WPKG is right. You put a check onf "file version" you got a
> comparison to "file version".

Yes.  It just bothered me that the program version and file
version were so different.  It's unclear to me what 2.0.0.15
would be without installing it first and checking the exe.

> Also I see some problems with your comparison - your check checks for
> file version "smaller than" which means that every (old) version of
> Firefox will be recognized as "installed properly". I would suggest
> changing this to a check as follows (if you would really like to check
> the binary file version:

Now I'm going to check the uninstall string and see how that goes.

> <check type="file" condition="versiongreatherorequal"
> path="%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" value="1.8.20080.42104"/>
>
> This would allow Firefox 2.0.0.14 and newer versions to be recognized as
> correct - but would force older versions to upgrade.

Thanks!