[wpkg-users] Package Renaming [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue May 20 10:56:41 CEST 2008

Hi Leon,

Leon Hedding (ICT) wrote:
> What you describe is exactly what I am thinking. The other bit is as you
> say, it is quite difficult to read logs since the GUID would be in the
> logs then. That is why I am wondering if having an actual (optional)
> GUID value would be of benefit. It might be over kill, but would
> certainly help in at least the run once instance.

Did you read the rules at <http://wpkg.org/Support>? :-)

In general reading the logs should not be so much of a problem as
usually the output within the logfiles, event log and on the console is
as follows:

... package "<package-name>" (<package-id) installed...

So this means you would see something like

... package "Pidgin" ({0EFDF2F9-836D-4EB7-A32D-038BD3F1FB2A}) installed...

Which is not really "unreadable" as the ID is mainly for administrators
anyway. I think introducing another "guid" attribute would be redundant
as the "id" was exactly mentioned to be used for this - identifying the
package. Describing the package in a readable form is the purpose of the
"name" attribute.