[wpkg-users] Vista and WPKG

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue May 20 12:52:56 CEST 2008

Hi Frank,

Dr. Frank Lee wrote:
> That method would be possible too. There's a page
> http://www.codesegment.com/sms_studio_help/Help/Tutorial/Samples/How%20to%20Send%20a%20Message%20through%20Named%20Pipe.htm
>
> on using Named Pipes through VBScript, so I'd imagine the same approach
> would work through JScript since they both use WSH.

Unfortunately this is not true. I tried and lost about 2 days searching
for a solution but it seems to be impossible. I know it works with
VBScript, but not with JSCript.

> I'm hoping that using named pipes would be quite easy:
> try {
>  writeToNamedPipe(msg);
> } catch (e) {
>  // Oh well, it didn't work.
> }

This is what I thought as well. But implementing writeToNamedPipe(msg)
is actually the problem.

> We might need an equivalent of dinfo() to indicate messages for the user
> and perhaps some configuration about what messages ought to be sent.
> (I'd like lots of detail but I suspect others wouldn't!)

This is addressed by the status print feature of WPKG 1.1 already. WPKG
already supports it, WPKG client is under investigation to be enhanced
to read the output of WPKG.

> At the moment, though, I'm concentrating on the code to display the
> message box and assuming that we can get the information into the named
> pipe easily enough, either through wpkg.js itself or by having something
> parsing STDOUT.

Since the first proposal seems not to be possible I did the necessary
changes already some time ago but currently printing to STDOUT.

Of course this might be changed if somebody knows how to do it in JScript.

> It's more that there's no way of removing the message box once it's been
> sent to the screen (I think - corrections welcome if I'm wrong about
> that), so it's possible that the message box thread would pick up a
> message which cannot be displayed while a previous message is being
> displayed and then gets a third message which over-writes the second.

Why not using a thread which picks up messages and puts it to a local queue?

> I think ideally we might try to use the CreateProcessAsUser API and get
> a window where we can update things in real time, but that would be a
> job for later / someone who knows more than I do about this sort of coding!

Also here, not much experience yet on this topic. Sorry.