[wpkg-users] Installer upgrade trouble...

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue May 27 10:36:12 CEST 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
> Marco Gaiarin schrieb:
>> Mandi! Tomasz Chmielewski
>>   In chel di` si favelave...
>>
>>> Some may want to install on startup as well.
>> Mmmhhh... someone may want to 'execute something' on startup, i think
>> that everyone want to install the software, when they are installed can
>> be a detail...
>
> Defaulting to installation on shutdown may be a good idea.

A good idea it is, but it doesn't seem so easy.

In WPKG Client, we managed to:
- display a window with custom messages on shutdown (like a logon delay
window now)
- delay a shutdown

Unfortunately, we fail to:
- establish new network connections when the machine shuts down
- execute new tasks as a specified user (Administrator, domain
Administrator)
- even when we start "cscript ...\wpkg.js" as a SYSTEM user, it ends
with an unknown exit code

:(

So most likely, executing on shutdown will not be possible to initiate
from within the WPKG Client.

It is possible to execute tasks on shutdown using GPO - network still
works fine then - but there seems to be no API to add/change new tasks
reliably (some "reverse engineering" shows that something has to be
added to the registry here, something has to be added to the registry
there, a file here etc.), not to say to schedule a maximum execution
time. And if there are existing tasks already, it gets even more messy.

So unless there is a great Windows guru out there willing to help, we
will only be able to schedule WPKG Client to start its tasks on Windows
startup (as we do it right now).
We could also add something like "try to connect for X minutes", as a
workaround for (mainly) laptops which establish a network connection
only when the user logs in.