[wpkg-users] Can't use computer account authentication with WPKG Client 1.3.6

Kai Pastor dg0yt at darc.de
Tue Nov 4 08:56:19 CET 2008

Although usually running under the local SYSTEM account, WPKG client never
properly supported using the computer account for connecting to the WPKG
file path on the network. In september, I explained a workaround: I added
double quotes to the UNC path ("\\mydomain\dfs\wpkg\wpkg.js") in order to
prevent WPKG client from calling WNetAddConnection2.

WPKG Client 1.3.6 seems to recognize a UNC path even within double quotes
(which is good). It always calls WNetAddConnection2 with the credentials
[not] specified.

In "Test settings"-mode, it complains that multiple connections with
different credentials are not allowed:

Message: WNetAddConnection2-> Mehrfache Verbindungen zu einem Server oder
einer freigegebenen Ressource von demselben Benutzer unter Verwendung
mehrerer Benutzernamen sind nicht zulässig. Trennen Sie alle früheren
Verbindungen zu dem Server bzw. der freigegebenen Ressource, und versuchen
Sie es erneut.

When starting as a service, it fails with "access denied":

WNetAddConnection2-> Zugriff verweigert

So it is no longer possible to use the computer account for
authentification. This is bad news. This authentication seems most
appropriate to me in an AD/DFS setup.

Could WPKG client skip WNetAddConnection2 when the WPKG path user is NOT
specified?

There is also no source code yet for release 1.3.6

Bye,
Kai Pastor.