[wpkg-users] Remove does not start upgrade

Marc Hennes Marc.Hennes at financial.com
Fri Nov 14 14:34:05 CET 2008

> The upgrade-before-remove action is only executed on package
> synchronization. If you invoke the /remove command then there is no
> upgrade-before-remove functionality.

That's good to know.

> If you do not use synchronization then you need to perform the /upgrade
> action on the package manually. Well, I am thinking about now if it
> would be a good idea to have WPKG doing the same upgrade-on-remove
> functionality on /remove action as well. But I came to the conclusion
> that it does not make sense. An administrator who is manually doing
> upgrades (if he is not using synchornization) would most probably like
> to take full control on each install/upgrade and is therefore not
> willing/expecting an upgrade when issuing the /remove command. Such an
> administrator would also know quite well (like you) that a specific
> package needs to be upgraded before it can be removed and could
> therefore initiate the upgrade manually.
>
> So if you want to have full manual control on install/upgrade remove I
> think such implicit actions are not a good idea. But most
> administrators
> will use the /synchronize functionality where it makes perfect sense to
> assure the package is on the latest revision before removing it.
>
> So please go for automatic synchronization or treat your package with a
> special /upgrade action in order to fix it.
>
> By the way: Mixing /synchronize with manual intervention (like manual
> /remove or /install) is not recommended as WPKG will try to keep the
> system in-synch when using /synchronize and manual interventions will
> in
> any case bring the system out-of-synch with the assigned profile.

You are perfectly right. Normally I don't run wpkg manually but for testing purposes it is quite useful.

I created a testing profile with gtk+ instead of gtk269 attached and the upgrade and remove worked as expected.

Thanks for your help Rainer.

By the way is there any special reason why wpkg runs an upgrade before removal and not simply use the uninstall command from the server instead of the local one? This would eliminate the overhead of upgrading just to get the correct uninstall string. If the package isn't available on the server anymore wpkg should fallback to the local uninstall string.

Just my two cents.

Greets,
Marc

financial.com AG

Munich head office/Hauptsitz M?nchen: Maria-Probst-Str. 19 | 80939 M?nchen | Germany
Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert (CEO/Vorsitzender) | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach
Register court/Handelsregister: Munich - HRB 128 972 | Sales tax ID number/St.Nr.: DE205 370 553