[wpkg-users] Expanding variables

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at ac-caen.fr
Tue Oct 21 10:52:53 CEST 2008

Hello,

Reading wpkg.js I saw how logFilePattern is expanded and I think this
treatment can be applied to more variables.

For example:
- wpkg_base              = http://www.mydomaine.tld/wpkg/
- web_packages_file_name = packages/[HOSTNAME].xml
- web_profiles_file_name = profiles/[HOSTNAME].xml
- web_hosts_file_name    = hosts/[HOSTNAME].xml

So, instead of loading maybe "huge" XML files, the web service can
restrict them for the host only.

This may avoid the use of profiles and hosts files if the web service
handle the profiles management and packages dependencies and hide them
to the client.

So http://www.mydomaine.tld/wpkg/[HOSTNAME].xml can be just ready to
be used.

I provide a little diff which define an expandVariable function and
use it in web parts. This is not tested, just to clarify my point.

Regards.
--
Daniel Dehennin
RAIP de l'Orne