[wpkg-users] getting started

mscdex mscdex at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 06:33:57 CEST 2008

On 10/13/08, Kevin McMahan <k_mcmahan at archerlandtitle.com> wrote:
 > Thanks a lot for the quick response!
 >
 >  I guess I am still a bit confused on why there is host.xml
profile.xml and packages.xml if there are folders which should contain
these files as well.

 >  I finally got it to work by deleting the *.xml file inside of the
packages folder and just using the wpkg\packages.xml file for install
instead of duplicating it by also using wpkg\packages\*.xml

 >  I also renamed the host, profile and package ids to be a bit more
descriptive so that I could figure out what was calling what.

 >  Thanks again,
 >
 > -Kevin

Regarding the XML files, you can choose to do it one way or the other.
On one hand you can put all of your package definitions into a single
package.xml, all hosts into one hosts.xml, etc. OR you can separate
each package out, each host out, etc. into individual xml files that
are placed in the respective folders.

I personally use the second method, just because it's a little easier
for me to manage as I don't have to go scrolling through an entire xml
file to find the package (or host or profile) definition I want to
change. This is especially handy when you have a large collection of
package/host/profile definitions.

I hope that makes more sense.

Brian