[wpkg-users] Again this: The network location cannot be reached

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Sat Oct 25 00:29:17 CEST 2008

Dejan Batic wrote:
> I’ve seen this subject before,  it always gave a lot of problems and I’m
> not sure that is even resolved.
>

>  Lately the problem was related to Realtek network card. In my case the
> Realtek card is integrated on the motherboard but the curious thing is
> that I get the same error when I disable the integrated NIC and put
> another card (Davicom, or Intel). The same thing is happening on 4 new
> PC’s! It’s Windows XP Pro SP3.

Another thing to check is that the client machine and the server to which it is
connecting have the same time.  It seems wpkg tries to make the connection to the
server before the workstation gets its ntp client running, so ideally the
workstation's hardware clock is correct.

Why does this matter?  It is some sort of quirk or feature of windows networking.  I
think Rainer explained it more clearly in a previous post.  I'm pretty sure I have
seen this problem in action on a Mac machine that is loaded with WinXP.  I'm guessing
that WinXP cannot correctly set the hardware clock on the Mac when windows shuts down.

Mark