[wpkg-users] newbie question

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Sat Oct 25 12:07:31 CEST 2008

Hi Michael,

Michael Ugilt wrote:
> I have installed wpkg as a service that starts boot.

So you installed WPKG client package.

> All users runs a samba logon script and I would assume that I need to
> put the following 3 lines into it:
>

> wpkgmessage.exe
>
> cscript.exe //NoLogo l:\wpkg.js
>
> wpkgmessage.exe /terminate

No, you do not have to run anything from the logon script. Above you
wrote you installed WPKG client. WPKG client will run as a service at
windows startup (even before a user logs in) and might display message
while it is working (logon delay). However logon delay seems not to work
properly on Vista I thought to remember. I am also using vista but
configured WPKG client not to delay login. It simply runs in the
background. Especially on Vista I think users cannot manage to log in
and run applications before WPKG finished (unless it has to deploy some
large applications which is usually only the case on fresh installations).

So my recommendation is to disable logon delay. Do not put anything to
your logon script.

By the way: The logon script runs with user credentials (the user which
logs in to the system). It might (should) not have Administrator
privileges and therefore he is not allowed to install software through
the logon script. If you have UAC enabled on vista you anyway would have
to use the "execute-elevated.js" wrapper script (even if the user has
administrator privileges).

So just remove the lines from your logon script and the WPKG service
will do the software installation for you at startup. See WPKG client
configuration for details.

> Now the package sync works great but I have two progress bars that
> continues forever! –if I delete the wpkgmessage, then how to notify users?

Probably because your logon script is invoking wpkgmessage.exe which
might not work (wpkgmessage.exe is used by WPKG client to delay login if
it is enabled, see above: I recommend not to use it).