[wpkg-users] Automatically Updated Installer Repository (ketarin, filehippo, others?)

John Price jp_wpkg at gcfl.net
Tue Oct 28 18:27:28 CET 2008

I think you have a good idea.  I decided to see if I could
write a script to check filehippo for the latest version
of a file, download it, and write a new package XML file
for me.  I almost got there (see attached) but I don't
know a good way to derive the revision number (an integer)
or the installer string (i.e. what goes in the "check"
line in the XML file) from the version string from File
Hippo.

Still, I include what I did in hopes that others can take
it further.  If I have more time, I will probably finish
it using C or something else that has more power.

I think the final version will have to have a template of
the XML file where the script can fill in package name,
version number, etc and generate the new XML file.  It
really shouldn't be too hard, but I don't have time right
now.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE! Please don't remove the sleep statements
from the script if you plan to use something like this.
The last thing you want to do is over-stress filehippo's
servers by downloading pages and files as fast as
possible.  A few seconds delay shouldn't make any
difference for you, but if 1000's are using a script like
this, it makes a difference on the server's load.  They
provide a great service... don't make them regret it!

Also, click on their ads every now and then. So they can
make a buck or two!

To run this, download it, then

chmod 700 GetUpdatesFromFilehippo.sh
./GetUpdatesFromFilehippo.sh firefox

If you run it more than once, it will only download the
file the first time until a new version of the file
appears on the web site, or they change their web page
significantly so that the page parsing does not work
anymore.

the string "NOBETA=1&NODEMO=0" tells the web page to only
show non-beta versions of the files.  If you change it to
"NOBETA=0&NODEMO=0" it will get beta versions as well.

jp

--
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man
to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.

Have a great day and don't forget to laugh!

http://www.gcfl.net (The Good, Clean Funnies List): Good,
clean daily funnies you can safely tell your Mom!