[wpkg-users] Is there anybody how has experiance with WPKG on Vista?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Sep 4 13:54:51 CEST 2008

Hi Johannes,

Johannes.Brix at evidian.com wrote:
> Is there anybody how has experiance with WPKG on Vista?
> If I run WPKG on Vista with the packages which work fine with XP, I fall
> into problems.
> It seems that the system user, which does the installation has not the
> right level for installation.

I am mainly using Vista x64 on my machines. WPKG works perfectly here (I
did some enhancements for Vista/Vista64). Using WPKG client it is
executed with SYSTEM credentials. This works perfectly (as on Windows
XP). When wpkg.js is run manually then it needs to be executed with
elevated privileges. To achieve this I checked in a tool called
"execute-elevated.js" to the repository - it's also part of the
distribution. It allows to run any program with elevated privileges
(causing an UAC prompt to pop up).

However this is not required for the SYSTEM user (when you use WPKG
client and the WPKG service).

I also use exactly the same package definitions for Windows XP as I use
for Vista.