[wpkg-users] wpkg.xml - how to delete or rebuild by wpkg

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Sep 4 14:07:02 CEST 2008

Hi Johannes,

Johannes.Brix at evidian.com wrote:
> I have modified some definitions for packages, especially the "remove"
> part.
> Is it possible to force a refresh of the local wpkg.xml file without
> deleting it?
> If not, is there a simple way to delete it ?
>
> If this file is not updated, it will work with the settings for update and
> remove
> which is written there, and not with the modifications I have done on the
> server.

WPKG 1.x contains an "upgrade-before-remove" feature. This means that
you can remove a package from the profile associated to a machine. When
the machine encounters that the package is updated (you should have
increased its version when you changed the remove command part), then it
will first perform an upgrade and then execute the remove commands
(which are the changed ones then).

So do the following:
- change remove commands in your package definition
- increase package version (you just changed it above)
- either remove the package or let clients just do the upgrade

btw. you can also leave the upgrade command empty. So the upgrade will
actually not do anything on existing systems. As long as the package
checks still yield true.