[wpkg-users] distribution for windows based on winpkg?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Sep 8 23:25:18 CEST 2008

Hi zyzy (nice name, by the way)

zyzy wrote:
> Is it a silly question?

Not really, I am just not sure I understand it properly...

> does some can just answer yes or no? or much;)

I will try to.

> A server where we can fin several applications that have licences to be
> deploys?

There is no such thing like a "central repository". We do not host any
software. However we supply a bunch of package definitions (which
usually require you to download the corresponding installer) on our
wpkg.org web-page.

The license is one of the issues why we do not host the software (apart
of the bandwith and the fact that it is quite useless and would be very
expensive to mirror the software on our servers).

We provide package definitions for various commercial applications as
well. But it's clear that we do not supply the software. So feel free to
purchase licenses, get the software from your vendor and then deploy it
using WPKG.

> Is it a silly idea?

No, not really, however deploying directly from internet is not a main
target of WPKG. Most recent versions however support a download feature
as well which would allow even to download the installer from the
internet. So feel free to create package definitions which download the
installer from (probably unreliable) internet sources and install it then.

Most WPKG users however prefer to fetch/install packages directly from
intranet SMB/CIFS servers.

> Does exist a bittorrent software client to download package that can
> verify hash code?

I don't know how you think this is related to WPKG. There are numerous
bittorrent clients out there. Some of them can be silently deployed
using WPKG. However WPKG does not support downloading software via
bittorrent protocol. You have to download your software in advance, make
them available to your clients and then deploy/install it using WPKG.

>> Hello, i have a noob question:
>> is there a public distribution site for windows based on winpkg?
>> thanks,

Well, I was even not sure if you're talking about WPKG or another
software here. It's called WPKG and not winpkg. Well, as explained
above, there is no such thing like a public deployment site. You have to
build your own (preferably local) deployment server.