[wpkg-users] Custom connecting script always fails

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Sep 16 16:55:01 CEST 2008

James Cort schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I have clients running Windows XP SP2 and a server running Samba.
>
> I'm using WPKG client version 1.2.1 on the clients with offline mode
> enabled and my own custom script for offline mode.  The custom script
> checks that the PC is on a network with acceptable performance to
> connect to the server, creates a system restore point and if all that
> went according to plan, returns 0.
>
> I'm having trouble getting the offline script to work.  It runs just
> fine from a command line (either running as local system user or as
> myself) and I can see from the logs that it happily downloads the script
> from the Samba server.  However, I always get the same error in the
> Application event log:
>
> Custom connecting script: failed.
>
> My script creates logs to C:\temp\location.log.
>
> When run through wpkg, it seems to stop doing anything as soon as it
> hits a command in the batch file which spawns another process.
> Certainly line 31 (net start ...)
>
> I've pasted up the batch file and the VBS script it calls at:
>
> http://pastebin.com/m6187e0c4
>

> Any suggestions?

Is the server user/password protected, or is it open to guest users?

When you specify your script in "offline mode", it won't use credentials
specified in WPKG Client configuration to connect to the server.

Further, the offline mode may even be started before the network is
actually ready (that was the intended, initial purpose for "offline
mode"), so you may add some pauses there.

Could you confirm if the server was user/password protected?

But I see you solved your problem by adding the script to "Execute
before", good.