[wpkg-users] USB hardware drivers

Anders Nilsson andersn at isy.liu.se
Wed Apr 1 13:05:31 CEST 2009

I may be in the wrong forum here, but perhaps a kind soul can set me in
the right direction.

I use WPKG for deploying hardware drivers for some USB devices. This
problems concerns a USB bluetooth dongle in particular.

Installing the driver via WPKG is no problem, but when the user plugs in
the dongle it has to be installed as Administrator, and this has to be
done for every USB port on the PC to be able to use it in that
particular port.

The driver itself is not signed by Microsoft. Could this be the reason
as to why the Administrator is needed when the device is plugged in?

Anyway, is this problem solvable with WPKG at all given that I could
figure out what registry keys and/or files that changes when the device
is plugged in?