[wpkg-users] Feature request - prevent logi until package installs completed

Chris Wilcox not_rich_yet at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:54:38 CEST 2009

> From: mangoo at wpkg.org
> To: not_rich_yet at hotmail.com
> CC: wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org
> Subject: Re: [wpkg-users] Feature request - prevent logi until package installs completed
>
> Chris Wilcox schrieb:
> > I can't recall if I asked this before, but it would be highly useful if
> > I could choose to display the WPKG interface until the package
> > install(s) was complete rather than specify a login delay
>
> Set it to a very long value then.
>

> > For a number of schools I support, it would prevent users being able to
> > cancel or stop any installations by closing the cscript window (on XP
> > anyhow, Vista is not an issue per-se as the same screen does not show),
>
> Just don't enable the feature (WPKG user interface -> show; disabled by
> default), nothing will be shown, even on XP, no one will be able to
> close cscript window.
>

> > and ensure that package installs of new software are completed before
> > the user tries to run any software that might have dependencies on the
> > currently installing program(s).
> >
> > I know you could set the login delay to a huge number, but with the
> > newer beta feature of a password-protected cancellation option in case
> > there is a problem, having WPKG show the interface and hold the login
> > process until complete would be very useful.
>
> This feature (password-protected cancel of a logon delay window) only
> works if administrator is around.

So setting the login delay to really long is the only option?  If so, can I request the ability to set it for longer than 120 minutes?  120 minutes might sound like a long time, but if I roll a new PC out, or re-install Windows for whatever reason, the growing number of packages that need installed before I want the PC to be used means that in some cases it could well take over 2 hours to get all programs installed.

Having the WPKG interface being shown is essential in most cases, as it holds the login and lets people know what is going on, and prevents them using the computer until the software installs are complete.

Chris