[wpkg-users] WPKG Client (1.0.4) with /logLevel:31 but almost no information in logfile

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Apr 29 21:23:49 CEST 2009

Hi Frank,

Frank Thommen wrote:
> OK. My misconception was, that the settings from the WPKG client GUI in
> fact *were* settings for wpkg.js.
>
> However: In config.xml I've now set
>
>     <param name='debug' value='true' />

This parameter controls how much logging is written to the event log by wpkg.js.
As wpkg.js historically logged to event log the debug parameter controlled the
detail of logs written to event log. It's strongly recommended to set this
parameter to "false" for productive environments. It could even fill up the
maximum space allowed for event log (mainly an issue for small-sized logs in
Windows XP) and then the system or programs might start to behave oddly or to
crash. Instead you should change the logLevel parameter - which is by default
anyway set to 0xFF (log everything).

As you wrote in an earlier post you appended /logLevel:31 to the command line of
wpkg.js. If you don't need so I recommend to remove this parameter on
client-side and configure logLevel in config.xml instead.

>     <param name='logfilePattern' value='wpkg-[HOSTNAME]-[YYY].log' />

This is fine.

> while not changing the other (default) values.  (Re)starting the WPKG
> service does not yield any logging or a new logfile in %TEMP%.

Are you sure you're checking the right %TEMP% directory? WPKG client executes
wpkg.js within SYSTEM context. Usually %TEMP% for the system user refers to
%SystemRoot%\temp (c:\windows\temp). So if you access %TEMP% on your user
account you will check in
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp
or (on XP)
c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp

Alternatively just specify a log_file_path value of "C:\\temp\" in order to
write the file into any hard-coded path which you know how it's resolved.

So you will for sure not find the log file placed to the system Temp folder.