[wpkg-users] WPKG to Windows 7 - Must have administrator priviledge?

Wed Dec 16 13:44:12 CET 2009

How exactly are you launching WPKG? I assume manually from a command line? In that case, try opening CMD with the "Run as Administrator" option. To do that, find the shortcut to CMD.EXE and right-click on it. Then select Run As Administrator.

BTW, that will work with UAC turned on or off. If you have UAC turned on, "Run as administrator" will bring up the familiar prompt. If your user is not an administrative-level user, the prompt will also ask for the user name and password of a user with administrative-level privileges.

Background information: in Windows 7 (and Vista), the administrator account actually is disabled and hidden. Ordinary users, even when you create it as administrator, are not actually administrators - they merely have the right to switch to the administrator account when needed.