[wpkg-users] Per-user installation?

Justin Brinegar brinegar at physics.unc.edu
Sun Dec 20 06:36:36 CET 2009

I am suggesting that you use WPKG to deploy the Google Pack.  I have not
done this, and I cannot attest to how it might be done, but I can attest to
Google Pack's Chrome install location being "in the right place."

When you visit http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer.html on a
Windows machine (note: I am on a Mac and I had to spoof my UA string), you
get the ability to customize what is contained in the Pack.  Being without
a Windows machine at the moment, I can't say how to proceed from there -
and I don't know if it will download the installer proper or if it will
download an application to download the rest.  I would use that page as a
starting point, simpling de-selecting every other application except Chrome
before clicking download now.  I'd try first launching whatever that
downloads on the commandline and appending a "/?" sans quotes to see if it
will print launch options.  If it doesn't, check for any documentation the
installer provides, or google for the silent install and commandline
options (you may not want it to autoupdate, for example).  I believe the
open source product Chromium does not autoupdate.  A quick google suggests
other alternatives to this as well.

This may very well end up being alot of investigation to get it to work
properly.  If you absolutely *cannot* seem to wrap the Google Pack
Chrome-only correctly in a WPKG packages.xml statement, then I would
suggest looking through the stuff located at
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/build-instructions-windows .  I
have not investigated it myself, but some applications are installed in a
straightforward manner (eg, Vim with Cream) and you can easily replicate
what an installer executeable or msi is doing with some custom scripts.  I
ended up taking that approach when no distribution of vim seemed to remove
silently.  I would only do it as a last resort, since it can be time
intensive.

Realistically, if I had too much trouble with Chrome, I would deploy a
stable build of Chromium.  Of course, there are some differences and I am
not terribly familiar with them.  If that is the route you choose, you may
find this page to be helpful:
http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/continuous/win/

I'll look into this further when I gain access to my systems again in 10
days and report back with what I have found.  I do not currently deploy
Chrome, but I have considered it.

Justin