[wpkg-users] Deploy packages to non-domain members not working

Bill Prentice Bprentice at campuspartners.com
Wed Dec 30 03:48:43 CET 2009

Perhaps it's already been answered, and it's only related to WPKG, but
my Google-fu is weak today. I have 4 machines that are not domain
members and I want to use WPKG to deploy packages to them.

My package share is set both share and NTFS permissions with
Everyone-Read/Execute.

WPKG checks in no problem and gets the list of packages (because I
supplied it with credentials for a domain service account) but when it
tries to run a package it comes back with an error (which varies
depending on what the software is - 1619 in the case of an MSI).
Essentially what is happening is my 2003r2 package-hosting domain-member
server is asking for a user ID and password to access the share even
with Everyone set on it. As near as I can figure WPKG is using the
domain credentials to access the package and profile XMLs but is using
the machine for getting the actual package installer.

Has anyone found a work-around or solution for this scenario? Making
these machines domain members is not an option at this point.

Kind regards,

Bill Prentice