[wpkg-users] Trying out package upgrades before general roll-out of package

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Fri Feb 20 14:41:38 CET 2009

Mandi! Robin Roevens
  In chel dì si favelave...

> We have a general policy here that any new software update/-grade has to
> be tested by 4 to 5 people for some time before it is deployed over all
> affected computers..

Good policy! ;-)

> But I'm having trouble to do that with WPKG.. :

WPKG does not support this, because the package version/revision are
not considered when processing package list, eg there's no way to have
the same package with two versions.
I've proposed some month ago to add this, and to add the ability to
(using a debian term) 'pinpoint' a particular revision.

There's indeed a hackish but working solution: edit the .XML package
recipe upgrading all stuff apart package revision, then edit the
%SYSTEMDIR%\wpkg.xml status database of these 4/5 clients, go to the
recipe entry and subtract 1 to the package revision.

This will trigger an update, using the new recipe.