[wpkg-users] WPKG with multiple systems and architectures

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Jan 27 09:51:08 CET 2009

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Dehennin wrote:
> Thanks everybody for your answers, looking at them I was wondering if
> having conditionnal variables could be a good thing, let me explain:

Yes, I will think about this and eventually it becomes part of WPKG.
However at the moment I have a list of additional features which I would
like to implement first.

> I don't really like to have some external cmd scripts, it requires to
> look at multiple files to see what's happening with a package, what
> about something like this:

OK, your decision ;-)

Personally I like scripting very much. It's extremely flexible and
allows you to handle almost every situation.

I do not fully agree to the fact that you have to look at multiple
files. The "install.cmd" script I showed remains the same for every
installer which as a "common" silent operation. So I don't need to debug
or look at it as it has proven to work perfectly.

So the only thing I have to look at is "unattended.cmd" or
"unattended-uninstall.cmd" which is usually just different within the
header (command definition, installer selection). So usually I have to
adapt only two lines within the script to make it usable for any
application. On the other side this simplifies WPKG package definitions
a lot and unifies exit codes.

There is another reason I am doing this which is not related to WPKG. I
am used to synchronize my whole "software" tree to a memory stick. So I
take it with me to my customers. Although they do not use WPKG I can
still go to any application folder and just launch "unattended.cmd" and
watch the program installing silently. This is very handy for support
people when you need to upgrade a couple of outdated programs.