[wpkg-users] Question on configurations of Firefox / IE

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Tue Jul 28 15:50:26 CEST 2009

Johannes.Brix at evidian.com schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> today I got the request to do some configuration on Firefox installation:
>
> 1. Set some settings
> 2. install some plugins
> 3. install some certificates and marked as trustworthy.
>
> Does anyone know how this can be done by scripting during software
> distribution?
>
> For IE, I only need to do task 3: install some certificates and marked as
> trustworthy.

Hello,

for step 3 and firefox, this is a bit complicated. There is no command
or whatsoever to do this automatically, and there seems to be no way to
modify the central certificate store, only the users' one. We did it
this way: Install the certs into a local firefox installation and search
cert8.db in the firefox profile. Deploy that to the same folder in every
users profile. We did this without WPKG, by running a cron job at night
on our server which copied cert8.db to /home/*/profile/Application
Data/... Additionally, copy cert8.db to %ProgramFiles%\Mozilla
Firefox\defaults\profile using WPKG on every machine, so every newly
created user profile will have cert8.db as well.

If you may need this often, I suggest building your own CA e.g. with
Tiny-CA and create a root certificate which does not expire until in 10
years or so, and distribute that to your clients. Afterwards, you can
always create new certificates for new machines and FF will trust them
as long as they're signed with your root certificate.

With IE, this may be much easier using CAPICOM. Unattended uses this and
a small perl script (cert.pl) to do this. You may also want to use
CAPICOM directly with your own script, take a look here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa375732%28VS.85%29.aspx

Bye,
Andreas