[wpkg-users] how about managing wpkg packages files with a vcs

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Mon Jun 22 14:06:19 CEST 2009

Chris Wilcox wrote:

> > Writing the packages files is what takes time, so it would be nice if we
> > could find a way to put in common our efforts :-)
>
> Well, I agree that some packages within the Wiki are not of the best quality but
> it allows everybody to contribute or to unify them.
>
> The biggest concern I see when using a VCS is as I stated: Accessibility and
> Usability. In order to convince as many people as possible to contribute we need
> to keep the hurdle as low as possible. And using the browser to edit a Wiki page
> is for sure a lower hurdle than installing an SVN client and following a
> document to prepare a package to be checked in properly.
>

> Just my $0.05, I ask others to give their opinion as well.

I don't really find creating the package xml files a big problem, there are huge resources online for silent install commands nowadays, wpkg.org, appdeploy.com etc etc.  The huge time saved from using WPKG easily makes up for the not that long of a time to create a new package xml for me.

I guess I should update the WPKG wiki more than I do though, as I've plenty of programs in use that are not in it.
<<
Hi,

VCS is an overkill for such a simple thing like these packages and I see no need to keep the old entries, if they are wrong or only valid for a particular version.
It is best to have a package, which works with any currently used version, just by changing some characters.

If you think there should be a naming rule, you are free to work through the Wiki.

Pages can be moved to change their name, I have done this in the past to get a better meaning of the link on the category page.

A Wiki is easy to change and does not require any additional software.

---
Stefan