[wpkg-users] stop wpkg from removing packages

simplesi siwalters at hotmail.com
Tue May 19 22:15:22 CEST 2009

Rainer Meier wrote:

> In any case I think Simon should take a bit more care about an integral
> and
> sensitive part of his software environment. In most cases re-installing an
> application is not an issue and if it is then I suggest testing and
> carefully
> handling the package database.

Thanks for the explanation of what the /noremove parameter does and why it
doesn't do what I would like :)

In most of my cases, re-installing is not a big issue but it is if the
installer is an autoit script and it comes across a dialog box that it
wasn't expecting and pauses :(

Just for info, I currently work across 7 small schools with about 40
computers /school and use wpkg to deploy applications if I think it would be
better/quicker to spend time trying to automate a deployment rather than go
around each computer and doing a manual install.

I've used wpkg with W2k3 servers, Win98 acting as fileservers and Ubuntu
acting as a file server and have been using it for 3 or 4 years now.

I just run it as a logon script in c:\docs and settings\allusers\program
files\startup and don't worry too much if the install isn't silent.

I go into each school for 3 hours/once a week and it is quite easy to make a
"small" change and then find everything goes horribly wrong the next morning
when the machines re-boot :(

Anyway - back to original request :)

Looking further at config.xml I saw the /noforcedremove flag and tried
setting that as its explanation of its use seemed to be what I'd like to
happen.

But it didn't :(

But I think it should do what I want - eg not remove the package from
wpkg.xml if it is removed from the profile or package database.

I have made a small modification to a copy of wpkg.js and it now does the
behaviour I'd like but it would be much better if was done "properly" :)

regards

Simon